Is it possible we can be controlled by the music we listen to?
I was watching a movie that seems commonplace as well as great but this question was asked and I did not know the answer. The best place to look at this in a scientific approach would be looking at the hell hole that is New York City.
I have been mostly raised in the New York city area which ranges from the several different boroughs and by the same token people. I have lived in Brooklyn where the rap music can be heard from Bushwick to Flushing ave. I have also lived in Queens and the hot dogs at Shea stadium can never seem to meet the challenge of being worthy of five dollars. Then there were the times when I strolled the Harlem streets alone looking for my sisters house because I could no longer live with my mom. It was incredible to see the ferry going away from the island and not still be on Manhattan for the summer. After all this how could I stop and accept that the final location would be not the beautiful streets of Main st filled with hustle and bustle, but instead the lonely desolate and poverty infested streets of the Bronx. The places change as did the people but the biggest change was the music.
I no longer could hear the proud Hispanics playing Marc Anthony down the street from our two story house. There was no more Kpop coming out of the doors of the stores. I could no longer catch a single note of Tu pac or Biggie echoing through the streets at one AM. I heard somethings in the Bronx, that is right, it was not like the silence of a cool day in Staten Island, no it was violence and pure hostility.
It was gunshot and rap music followed by screams and the tragic huge group of teenagers with no direction in life but down. They fought and struggled to make something their own even if it came down to nothing more than there reputations. I have seen what New York City really looks like. I have been both a witness and a victim of the struggle. It was this that made my choice to find a new song so easy. That song was being played in Rochester for me.
3 comments:
Hey bro, I've thought the same thing, time and time again. Music is pretty controlling. Everything from the song to what the singers wearing has an extreme effect on the listener. I've always felt as if all my beliefs were in my computer's music folder.
I totally agree the only thing that concerns me is did the music choose u or did you choose the music? are u choosing it cuz of how you are or are u choosing the music and then becoming that way? u get me? food for thought u noe...
One chooses the music. Ones feelings are in total control of the music that nurtures you when you find yourself in the deepest hole of depression...it's the rhythm that carries you above the clouds when you feel elated for whatever positive reason and the adrenaline that pumps through your veins when you feel life is low-balling you and punching someone in the face is not an option.
I have the ability to connect every song that's important to me to some hidden but unforgotten memory. I love it.
Post a Comment